Arts and Cultural Center
Bravo! Expect Great Performances!
The JCC has a rich tradition in bringing Jewish cultural opportunities to its members and the St. Louis community. In maintaining that long standing tradition, the focus of the Roswell and Wilma Messing Cultural Arts Department has been on theatre, film and literature.
- The St. Louis Jewish Book Festival allows prominent authors to showcase their latest works and lets the readers get up close and personal.
- Our New Jewish Theatre has won six Kevin Kline Awards (recognizing outstanding achievement in Professional Theatre in the Greater St. Louis area) since the inception of the Awards program five years ago -- capturing many high honor awards such as Outstanding Actress, Outstanding Supporting Actor and Outstanding Director of a Play. This program produces a full season of five shows annually.
- The St. Louis Jewish Film Festival brings poignant films and filmmakers, as they relate to Jewish values, culture and/or history and is a largely attended event.
- The J's Youth Theatre program introduces the fun of performing in front of a live audience while teaching St. Louis children all about drama, costuming and theatrics.
- Theatre Unlimited, a program designed for adults with disabilties, has brought the excitement of theatrical performing to life! Participants act, sing, dance and shine on Center Stage, all in a barrier-free setting.
- Two Used Book Sales take place each year, offering more than 30,000 books to the community.
- Culture Club, a committee of dedicated community members looking to enhance current offerings and find new ways to promote the arts.