New Jewish Theatre
An Award-Winning Program of the J!
Winner of FIVE St. Louis Theatre Circle Awards for 2012!
Three of the five productions won awards and the five total awards were second only to The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis.
Year after year, the New Jewish Theatre continues its tradition of presenting professional theatre at the highest level of artistic excellence, producing shows that examine universal themes and issues, filtered through the lens of the Jewish experience. Each production provides entertaining and often provocative subject matter featuring theatre professionals from the St. Louis area and elsewhere.
Performance times are Wednesdays and Thursdays at 7:30pm; Saturdays at 8:00pm; Sundays at 2:00pm (and 7:30pm in week three). Ticket prices are:
2013-14 Season Productions:
HANNAH SENESH by David Schechter
December 3 - 20
Taken from the actual diary of Israeli heroine, Hungarian born Hannah Senesh, this life-affirming one-woman show is the haunting and poignant real life story of a young freedom fighter who parachuted behind Nazi lines to save Hungarian Jews. Her poems and music live on in many Jewish services.
THE WHIPPING MAN by Matthew Lopez
January 30 - February 16
An injured Confederate soldier returns to the ruins of his grand Richmond home at the end of the Civil War to find only two former slaves and no one else. As this unlikely Jewish trio gathers for a makeshift Passover Seder, they come to terms with their shared past and secrets as they ask the age old question “why is this night different from all other nights.
THE PRICE by Arthur Miller
March 20 - April 6
Everything has a price. In one of the most emotional pieces Arthur Miller ever wrote, two estranged brothers reunite to sort and sell their deceased father’s” furniture, before his building is torn down.. The brothers are forced to deal with the price of decisions made in their shared past.
OLD JEWS TELLING JOKES by Daniel Okrent & Peter Gethers
May 8 - June 1
Think you’ve heard them all before? Think again! If you’ve ever had a mother, visited a doctor or walked into a bar with a priest, a rabbi and a frog, OLD JEWS TELLING JOKES will sit in the dark, give you a second opinion and ask you where you got that. You’ll laugh ‘til you plotz.
Completed 2013-14 Productions
THE GOOD DOCTOR by Neil Simon
October 3 - 20
Simon does Checkov. From Broadway’s master of comedy, Neil Simon, and based on several of Anton Checkov’s short stories, these vignettes will tickle your funny bone. Elegantly woven together, these stories are a laugh-out-loud experience depicting the absurd humor underlying even the most serious of circumstances. Say "ahhh” for one of Neil Simon’s funniest plays, The Good Doctor.
Awards for NJT!
The New Jewish Theatre has received 56 nominations and captured 17 Awards since awards since 2006. This includes the now defunct Kevin Kline Awards (2006-2011) and the St. Louis Theatre Circle Awards (2012-present).
The awards received are:
2006 Kevin Kline Awards
- Best Supporting Actor: Gary Wayne Barker, Driving Miss Daisy
2007 Kevin Kline Awards
- Best Actress: Donna Weinsting, From Door to Door
2008 Kevin Kline Awards
- Best Ensemble: Kindertransport
- Best Ensemble: Women's Minyan
- Best Supporting Actor: John Kinney, What's Wrong with This Picture?
- Best Director: Doug Finlayson, Kindertransport2011 Kevin Kline Awards
- Best Ensemble: The Immigrant
- Best Actor, Bob Thibault, The Immigrant
- Best Supporting Actress: Peggy Billo, The Immigrant
- Best Supporting Actor: Gary Wayne Barker, The Immigrant
- Best Production: Awake and Sing!
- Best Set Design: Awake and Sing!
2012 Theatre Circle Awards
- Best Actress in a Comedy: Meghan Maguire, Talley's Folly
- Best Ensemble: Jacob and Jack
- Best Lighting Design (tie): Michael Sullivan, Way to Heaven
- Best Lighting Design (tie): Nathan Schroeder, Talley's Folly
- Best Sound Design: Robin Weatherall, Way to Heaven
The JCC New Jewish Theatre receives support from:
The JCC New Jewish Theatre is a member of: