New Jewish Theatre
An Award-Winning Program of the J!
TEN St. Louis Theatre Circle Awards Nominations for 2013!
Year after year, the New Jewish Theatre continues its tradition of presenting professional theatre at the highest level of artistic excellence, producing shows that examine universal themes and issues, filtered through the lens of the Jewish experience. Each production provides entertaining and often provocative subject matter featuring theatre professionals from the St. Louis area and elsewhere.
Performance times are Wednesdays* and Thursdays at 7:30pm; Saturdays at 8pm; Sundays at 2pm and 7:30pm. (*No Wednesday performance in week one.)
Ticket prices are:
*Individual ticket prices include a $2 service charge
2014-15 Season Productions:
Upcoming 2015-2016 Season Productions:
UNDERNEATH THE LINTEL by Glen Berger
January 28 - February 13, 2016
A library book, 113 years overdue, with a clue scribbled in the margin and an unclaimed dry-cleaning ticket, creates a life-changing quest which leads to a world-wide search that ultimately decodes the meaning of life.
Old Wicked Songs by Jon Marans
March 17 - April 3, 2016
Hoping to shatter his artistic block, a young American piano prodigy travels to Vienna where an unexpected link is created is discovered creating an inspirational journey of two very different men, with music as their one common bond.
YENTL, a play with music adapted by Leah Napolin from the short story by Isaac B. Singer, music by Jill Sobule
May 12 - June 5, 2016
Updated with new music and lyrics, Yentl is the story of a young girl in 19th century Eastern Europe forbidden to pursue her dream of studying Talmud, but is unwilling to accept her fate.
Note: one additional week of performances
Awards for NJT!
The New Jewish Theatre has received 56 nominations and captured 17 Awards since awards since 2006. This includes the now defunct Kevin Kline Awards (2006-2011) and the St. Louis Theatre Circle Awards (2012-present).
The awards received are:
2006 Kevin Kline Awards
- Best Supporting Actor: Gary Wayne Barker, Driving Miss Daisy
2007 Kevin Kline Awards
- Best Actress: Donna Weinsting, From Door to Door
2008 Kevin Kline Awards
- Best Ensemble: Kindertransport
- Best Ensemble: Women's Minyan
- Best Supporting Actor: John Kinney, What's Wrong with This Picture?
- Best Director: Doug Finlayson, Kindertransport2011 Kevin Kline Awards
- Best Ensemble: The Immigrant
- Best Actor, Bob Thibault, The Immigrant
- Best Supporting Actress: Peggy Billo, The Immigrant
- Best Supporting Actor: Gary Wayne Barker, The Immigrant
- Best Production: Awake and Sing!
- Best Set Design: Awake and Sing!
2012 Theatre Circle Awards
- Best Actress in a Comedy: Meghan Maguire, Talley's Folly
- Best Ensemble: Jacob and Jack
- Best Lighting Design (tie): Michael Sullivan, Way to Heaven
- Best Lighting Design (tie): Nathan Schroeder, Talley's Folly
- Best Sound Design: Robin Weatherall, Way to Heaven
The J's New Jewish Theatre receives support from:
The J's New Jewish Theatre is a member of: